Sunday, February 7, 2010

I have not posted in a while because there simply has been no time.  I lost my dear, sweet, Ota a few weeks ago.  He had been in the hospital and rehab facilities since just after Thanksgiving.  What started it all.....a urinary tract infection.  At 89 years old, we knew that his tired body could no longer recover.  We were all there with him as he passed away.  It was a first for me...to be there when a spirit left the body.  I was scared, very scared. I wanted to stay home.  I could not face the fact that we would be losing him.  But looking back, it was all so perfect.  His whole family was surrounding him, and he just slowly fell asleep.  We also had a priest present to give him the Annointing of the Sick..not called Last Rites anymore...We all prayed together and were able to say good-bye.  He knew we were there....in fact he waited for my cousin to get there.  While I was completely devastated, and could not imagine him not being around, I am now at peace.  I know he is not longer confused, in pain, and has his dignity back.  However, I know he is waiting for my grandmother to join him....

My grandparents were married for 60 years.  They spent every day together.  They always told us that when one goes, the other would go shortly thereafter.  Well....My Oma has had dementia for a few years.  Nothing to serious, just some forgetfulness.  However, when Ota died, her dementia accelerated and got progressively worse.  In the span of two weeks, she could no longer walk, swallow, and became unresponsive.  While losing Ota was devastating, this was too much for me to handle.  My mom and I went to see her at the hospital Monday, and I didn't stop crying until Thursday.  I begged and pleaded with my Ota to let her stay a while longer.  I know they want to be together, but both leaving us just weeks apart?  Well...he must have heard my cries.  She has made a recovery, and is eating, talking, knows who we all are...Ota told her she needed to stay a while longer.  We were not ready to let her go.  Not just yet.  While she still has dementia, we know she will not get better.  But this gives us time to let her go.  She is in hospice right now, but the nurse told me yesterday that she may not need to stay there if she continues to do as well as she is doing.  So, for now, we are taking it day by day, and cherish each moment spent together.

Here is a picture of my grandparents at our wedding.  My other grandmother is also pictured.  She suffers from Alzheimer's.   From left to right, Oma, Ota & Oma, and Anna Tant, my great aunt.  She is 87, and very healthy!

3 comments:

Jodi said...

I am so sorry for your loss. :(

J said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. Looks like he was able to live a full life and now he is in heaven. God bless his soul!

Crystal said...

I am so sorry!!!